Linux quick start hints & cheatcodes 2015
for 1st time users:
- use FCPup to install & update everything into $HOME/development/ - Do not use apt-get or .deb , .rpm --> old poor Lazarus and troublesome.
- do not install all packages so soon. some will give you bad trouble with the IDE. Wait until you familiarized yourself with most aspects of the IDE
- enjoy !
30 second quick wiki tutorial link is now dead, and I can't find a suitable replacement. Suggest the link is removed. Mike Thompson 4 July 2014
- bump --BigChimp 08:04, 27 September 2014 (CEST)
I moved a lot of stuff here that seems outdated, and could even be deleted. If it isn't outdated, please feel free to move it back and leave a note here. Thanks. --JimBeam 14:19, 26 July 2011 (CEST)
Lazarus Help Files Installation
2015 note : use FPCup - and forget about .rpm or .deb installation horror - then you get context sensitive help from within the source editor (CTRL) F1 like in Delphi.
- Just a thought here ... the first thing a person needs after installing Lazarus is probably the help files. Instead, after firing up lazerus and going to the 'help' menue I get a link to something online. WTF. So I go digging around and find a help build bat which I run, but wait, burried inside the bat is a note that I have to change a path and build another lpi file first. So I do this and compile the lpi in the help folders and then run the bat to build the help files. Amazing that I even stumbled across this shit... and help still doesn't work from the 'help' menu.
Lazarus' "help" is a discombobulated clusterfuck of an embarrassment. I mean really, just think about this, someone installs Lazarus and there is no fucking help from the help menue. Just exactly what the hell is wrong with you people. --Atp 20:24, 5 December 2008 (CET)
- Update. you guys should really look at Python's documentation. Really. Pretend you've never used Lazarus or free pascal - install it - then try to figure out how to create a file on the hard drive and write a string to it. Your help files are essentially useless for this. When I taught myself Python it took about ten minutes. So I go open an example project to look at, and guess what ... It closes the project I was working on. Utterly un-fucking-believable. --Atp 20:41, 5 December 2008 (CET)
Tone is a bit harsh, but I can certainly agree with the sentiments. Shouldn't this be moved somewhere to a Lazarus Help section? --JimBeam 14:19, 26 July 2011 (CEST)
Afaik helpfiles now come with releases, so this is all old hat. Marcov 09:08, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
How to create new page
I want to create new page, but I don't know how. I see the option to edit existing page, but I don't see how to create a new one. Is it perhaps not allowed? If it is the case, please write it clearly, so that people don't lose time trying to figure out how to do it.
- Hello, this wiki uses the MediaWiki software. You can create new pages like in any other wiki (maybe this page can help you: ). Please use english words for the page title in order that other people can imagine the content. If you want to create a page with a content written in a different language, please use a suffix (e.g. /ru for a russian page). Regards, --Swen 17:25, 2 February 2010 (CET)
- Thank you, Swen. I finally figured it out.
Were can I find a complete set of all modules required to satisfy all dependencies for the FPC 2.2 installation ? Many of the failed dependencies I encountered are not housed with the fpc collection found on sourceforge.
Also, is there a wiki for Delphi ex-patriots ?
Dragonsixseven 17:30, 13 December 2005 (CT)
In the Documentation and Download sections, could you mention that installation is documented, and link to [Installing Lazarus]? --JimBeam 08:31, 6 June 2011 (CEST)
- Done! --Jonas 10:32, 7 June 2011 (CEST)
How i can translate the main page to spanish? I want to create NEW pages in spanish without erase the english iformation. it's as easy as click edit, translate and save? thanks Meez 21:28, 19 Apr 2005 (PDT) En español: ¿Como puedo traducir la página principal a español? Necesito crear nuevas páginas en español sin borrar la información en inglés. ¿es tan fácil como hacer click en editar, traducir y salvar? Gracias ¡ OJO CON ESTO QUE LO QUE TRADUCIRÍA ¡¡¡SOBREESCRIBIENDO!!! ES LA ORIGINAL EN INGLES - POR TANTO NO HACER !
If you edit an existing page, you will overwrite it. So you need to copy the information to a new page first. Vincent 04:34, 20 Apr 2005 (PDT)
La respuesta en español es:
Si tu editas una página existente (bien sea en inglés o en otro idioma) sobreescribes el contenido. Lo que debes hacer es poner /es a continuación de la dirección que figura en la barra de direcciones, caso de que ya exista la página traducida o no te indicará si quieres editarla. La forma por tanto es COPIANDO la original y pegando pero en la entrada con /es "asegúrate en todo momento de que la parte traducida al grabarla está en /es. Puede que en un principio no aparezca el enlace como disponible la traducción en español una vez realizada pero mejor esperar. En cualquier caso poniendo a cualquier dirección de la wiki en otro idioma el /es te mostrará si hay contenido.
! Gracias Vincent !
Nota: en FreePascal no veo que actualice enlaces salvo el contenido en inglés pero puede que haya entradas traducidas.
fine, but how i can create new pages and how i can copy the information? I don't find help about it... with the edit option I only change the name of the page... Thanks Meez 21:46, 20 Apr 2005 (PDT)
Ok, vincent, thanks for your help. I found the mode of create new pages. Perhaps it's no orthodox mode but... Runs!!!! the page is on translation but in a fews days the spanish comunity will can read the lazarus documentation in their natal language Meez 22:10, 20 Apr 2005 (PDT)
I translated the main page and fixed 'es' as the language suffix(thanks for your idea), but i don't know how to erase the pages that was created with the suffix 'esp'. Do you know how i can do it? thanks --Meez 09:21, 21 Apr 2005 (PDT)
- You can't delete the page. You could have used the move page feature, but now I will delete all the Esp pages.Vincent 23:56, 21 Apr 2005 (PDT)
- I used the move page feature, vincent; I moved the pages first to main page/esp, later I moved to "pagina principal/esp", thinking that I could translate the title of the page and finally i remove to "main page/esp". Therefore I created all those pages. If you can, delete those pages. The good page is main page/es, please don't delete it. Excuse me for that mistake.--Meez 06:07, 22 Apr 2005 (PDT)
I would like to translate documentation pages into Polish - could somebody insert link to the Main Page/pl on Main Page? --Pekar 14:32, 23 June 2006 (CEST)
Should we use 'Polish' or do you have an expression like Русский for the russian page? --Swen 15:12, 23 June 2006 (CEST)
- I belive polski is the polish name for polish, thats certainly what wikipedia seems to use. Plugwash 21:11, 27 September 2006 (CEST)
OS/2 and eCS users, where does one discuss FP problems ?
Any pointers would be appreciated.