Compiling the compiler
Get the sources:
git clone https://github.com/skalogryz/freepascal fpc-wasm
switch to correct branch:
cd fpc-wasm git checkout webasm
hit the "compile" button.
fpc -dnoopt -dwasm -Fiwasm -Fuwasm -Fusystems -S2 pp.pas
the compiler can be renamed
mv pp ppwasm
or, on windows:
mv pp.exe ppwasm.exe
Using the compiler
You need a system.pas unit. It can be found here:
You'll also need the wasm bin tools:
Extract the binaries and put them somewhere in your PATH.
You'll also need the wasmtool:
- Compile wasmtool.lpi
Put wasmtool somewhere in your PATH
And finally you need wasm-ld (don't confuse it with wasmld).
- Download the llvm-9 release, and put the bin/ldd as wasmld in your PATH.
Hint: If your fpc.cfg has
#IFDEF FPC_CROSSCOMPILING #IFDEF NEEDCROSSBINUTILS -XP$FPCTARGET- #ENDIF #ENDIF
Enclose it in #IFNDEF CPUWASM :
#IFDEF FPC_CROSSCOMPILING #IFDEF NEEDCROSSBINUTILS #ifndef cpuwasm -XP$FPCTARGET- #endif #ENDIF #ENDIF
Otherwise, you have to create symlinks wasm-wasm-wasmld to wasmld, and wasm-wasm-wasmtool to wasmtool.
Wasm-demo is a Pascal WebAssembly demo project, ported Google's C WebAssembly example (https://codelabs.developers.google.com/codelabs/web-assembly-intro)
You follow these steps in order to get the demo project working:
1. Get the project sources: https://github.com/skalogryz/wasm-demo
Using in webassembly.studio
2. Run the wasm compiler against lyff.pas, but request the assembler file to be kept
pp -a lyff.pas
Webassembly.studio accepts the assembler file and would compile it on the server side.
3. open up https://webassembly.studio and select "Create empty Wat Project". The project will consist of:
All files of the project can be edited through the web interface.
4. Copy and paste the contents of the following files:
- (compiled) lyff.wat to main.wat.
- wasm-demo\webassembly.studio\main.html to main.html
- wasm-demo\webassembly.studio\main.js to main.js
Note: every time you copy and paste, don't forget to press "SAVE" button (on the right side of the web interface)
5. once all files are update, hit "Build and Run"