IDE Window: Find
If this dialog is invoked by Ctrl+F or by Search > Find then it the replace buttons and options are disabled.
If this dialog is invoked by Ctrl+R or by Search > Replace then the replace options will be enabled.
- Text to Find
- Replace With
The above two comboboxes contain the last searched texts and replace patterns. Cursor Down will go back in history and fetch the last text to find.
Hint: You can choose, whether the IDE starts the dialog with the word at the cursor in the source editor or with a blank field in Environment -> Editor Options -> General -> Find text at cursor
- Case sensitive - distinguish lower case and upper case (a and A)
- Whole words only - the found text must start at a word start and end at a word end
- Regular Expressions - see IDE regular expressions
- Multi line - the search does not stop at line ends or in other words: the found text can contain multiple lines. You can paste/copy multiple lines from the source editor to the find text field and you will see the line endings. These line endings can not be created by normal keys. When searching with regular expression you can use \n (backslash plus n) as marker for line end characters. For example search a regular expression begin.*Application will find
begin Something; Application
- Prompt on replace - ask before replacing (only enabled if replacing)
- From Cursor - start search at cursor. If direction is forward, it searches till the end of the file
- Entire Scope - If direction is forward it starts searching at the beginning of the file and searches till the end.
- Global - search in whole file
- Selected Text - limit the search to the selected text
Hint: To search multiple files use Search -> Find in files.
- Forward search - search top to bottom. Each line is searched from left to right.
- Backward search - search bottom to top. Each line is searched forward - left to right.