From Free Pascal wiki
Good information about linkers and loaders can be found in the book Linkers and Loaders at http://www.iecc.com/linker/
- Get familiar with the fpc sources
- Analyse what is available in the fpc sources. A couple of years ago a basic linker for go32v2 was already working.
- Start coding, the first thing to add is a scriptable memory/file layout, like the ld-scripts.
- Add PE coff support
- Add static ELF support
- Add shared ELF support
- Add optimizations for smartlinking
- Add internal object format
- Keep an eye on memory usage and overall speed.