From Free Pascal wikiJump to navigationJump to search
Wiki documentation conventions?
Many different screenshot styles are in use. Which style is preferred (linux/windows/mac). Newer is better? Arent (talk) 14:44, 27 July 2020 (CEST)
- I noticed you moved the Feedback page to an archive - it is relevant to your question above and referred to the BugTracker issue which I raised. Effectively, you cannot overwrite/update/delete images since late last year due to either a bug in the MediaWiki version or a corrupted images database or both (which is unknown). The upshot of this continuing issue is that when wanting to overwrite/update/delete an image, the only current option is to simply upload a new image with a new name and adjust the linked filename.
- As to which OS is better/preferred it depends on which OS the Wiki editor is using or prefers. The images are generally the same, but not always in the case of macOS (eg the Tools > Options menu item has been moved to Lazarus > Preferences (to be Mac interface-compliant) for macOS in Lazarus trunk and presumably in the next Lazarus release; similarly Help > About has been moved to Lazarus > About (to be Mac interface-compliant). There may be others, but I noticed those changes recently.
- For myself, I have only updated images that were no longer representative of the current Lazarus release and I have generally trimmed off the title bar indicia that would give away the OS so as to keep them as OS neutral as possible. Trev (talk) 03:20, 28 July 2020 (CEST)
- I don't have any intention to overwrite any image. Upload a new one is even better. ;-)
- Which OS we all should use is of course a matter of taste. However, as a documentation/help site it would be great to have some style goal. An end-user will be helped most whenever the layout is as consistent as possible. A grand palette of image styles does not contribute to that. I'm using the Ubuntu 20.04 Dark appearance now (less light in your eyes is more relaxing and dark seems to be the new trend), but I'm a bit hesitant in uploading dark images for now...
- As OS neutral as possible is a fine starting point. I think I've been doing that too. Arent (talk) 15:55, 28 July 2020 (CEST)