This page is about migrating FPC from SVN to git
- 1 Concerns/Questions
- 2 Tool for migration
- 3 Work to do
What part of SVN to migrate ?
- More is better.
Jonas has a very complete git mirror of the SVN+CVS part.
(care needs to be taken: there used to be a time when copyrighted code was checked in)
A first test conversion by Florian using subgit was attempted: completed in 5 hours 1, creash. Looks OK.
- In order to save on diskspace, find ways to tell user how to clone only a part.
git clone --depth 1 to get only the latest revision (with fetch, later on more revisions can be fetched if needed)
The fpc build repository uses svn:external references.
Git has modules, which is in essence the same. This needs to be properly set up.
Branching model ?
Various models exist:
User management ?
Git has no concept of users. To manage permissions on a server, a separate program is needed.
- uses git repo for administration
- No server binary
- No web interface
- administration needs ssh key, only ssh possible.
- Web integration ?
- Web based
- Fine tuning possible
- Separate config
- Requires running binary all the time, on a separate port.
What about Lazarus ?
Tool for migration
- very flexible
- very fast (remote cloning of the whole FPC repository takes ?)
- external java-based tool, so some dependencies
- included in git it self
- less flexible
Work to do
Migrate SVN repo.
- 2017-12-16: A first test conversion by Florian using subgit was attempted: completed in 5 hours 1, creash. Looks OK